Friday, September 14, 2012

Somewhere over the Rainbow

Annyeong chinggus! Here's the new fanfic for all of you.I was planning to set this as per invite only as what I have written on the last post. However, a friend advised me not to do so. Let me just share her advise." You created a blog not just for a few people to enjoy. Be glad that you have readers and show your appreciation by posting fanfic."

It made sense to me so I decided to just let it be. To all those who replied on my previous post, thank you guys. I just hope that you will enjoy this new story. Thank you, thank you for your support.Here's the 1st chapter..

Chapter 1

It was a bright Saturday morning as Choi Mirin climbed up to the hill. He smiled as he remembered the reason why he has to brave the travel and took the train this morning all alone. He wants to spend this day with just the two of them. And as he gets near the place, his heart skips a beat- just like the old times. Nothing has changed after all these years.


“Good morning Yeobo. I’m sorry if I haven’t been here as frequent as before. Today, I have prepared something special for you. Wait till I unwrapped everything, okay?” Mirin uttered as he carefully placed the mat on the ground and took out all the packed food from the back pack. He laid everything out and lit the candle on top of the cake.

“Happy 55th wedding anniversary, Yeobo! I love you and not a day pass without me missing you.” He whispered as he dabbed tears from his eyes. He placed her picture in his chest and ran his other hand on the cold marble tombstone.

Mirin took a deep breath and gently sat on the mat. When his wife passed away four years ago, he thought that his life would end too. He never imagined living alone, she was his childhood friend, and they grew up together, fell in love and then got married. Although they were never blessed with a child, they spent more than fifty years of marriage bliss. She is his and will always be his other half, his soul mate and life.

“Yeobo, I can feel that I will be seeing you again soon. I can already feel that my body’s tired and even my heart. I know I promised to take care of myself. Honestly, Yeobo I did just that. It’s just that your husband is not so young anymore. I can feel the years already catching up. I already consulted our doctor and he advised me to take a lot of rest. That’s the reason why I haven’t been here for a long time. He doesn’t approve me of travelling, much more, travelling alone and via train. But, this is our day, Yeobo. I don’t want anyone else to be here. Now, don’t sweat too much, I know you’ll worry about me. I informed Mr. Jang to pick me up at around two in the afternoon so we can have time together, okay?”

He then decided to rest his tired body from the commute. He gently placed the picture frame beside him and hums their favorite song.

Somewhere over the rainbow
Way up high,
There's a land that I heard of
Once in a lullaby.

Somewhere over the rainbow
skies are blue,
And the dreams that you dare to dream
Really do come true.

The incessant ringing of the phone woke up Mirin. He was sleeping peacefully and didn’t realized that it was already time to go. It was two in the afternoon and Mr. Jang is already there to pick him up. He sat up and talked to his wife again.

“Yeobo, I promise that I will fulfill my promise before I leave this world. I will try my best to bring them back together. Happy anniversary, Yeobo. I love you Choi Hera.”

He packed up all his things and carefully made his way down the waiting chauffeur.

When he arrived home, he went directly to his room and called his trusted friend’s son.

“Myung Soo, hello, how have you been?" Mirin greeted him.

“Hello, Uncle.I’m fine. Are you doing well?” Myungsoo asked back.

“I’m doing good, son. Can you come and see me soon? I just need to settle something.” He requested.

“Okay Uncle. I’ll be there tomorrow morning before heading to the office. Would that be fine or would you like me to drop by tonight?” He confirmed.

“Just have breakfast with me tomorrow. We’ll discuss things then." Mirin concurred.

“Alright, Uncle. I’ll see you tomorrow. Take a good rest.” And Myungsoo bid goodbye.

“You too, Myungsoo and don’t forget to say hi to your Dad for Me.” he replied and hung up the phone.

After Mirin hung up, he went to his study room and busied himself. Only when he was called for dinner that he went out. After eating he went back to the study room and finished his work. It was almost ten in the evening when he put down his pen and gathered all the papers in one big envelop. He locked it in one of the drawers and locked the study. He went to his room, lit a candle and uttered a prayer before calling it a day.

At around seven in the morning, Mirin was up and about, sipping orange juice in the garden when Myungsoo walked in.

“Good morning, Uncle. You’re looking so happy this morning.” Myungsoo greeted and took a seat opposite him.

“I’m just happy Myungsoo. Come on and have some breakfast before we talk business.” And he asked the servants to bring in more food.

Myungsoo’s father –Park Kahi is Mirin’s best friend since middle school. They went to different university though, Kahi went to law school while he took up business course. When Mirin put up his own business after, Kahi resigned from his employer so he can work for his friend. His wife, Beka was already pregnant with Myungsoo when Mirin and Hera got married. The couple prayed hard that they too will be blessed with a child so that if it’s a girl they can pair them up. But after so many years of unfruitful trying the Choi couple conceded and just became second parents to Myungsoo. When Kahi suffered mild stroke just two years ago, Myungsoo took after his role as the Choi’s lawyer. He also helped out Mirin in running his business.

After breakfast, Mirin and Myungsoo went to the study room so they can talk. Mirin handed the envelop to the young man as soon as he was able to take a seat. He then took out the papers, scanned the details and asked.

“Uncle Mirin, why do you have these prepared?”

“Myungsoo-ah, I’m not that healthy anymore. I know that it won’t be long before I join your Aunt Hera. I have everything prepared so just in case God calls me soon, things will be in order." Mirin explained.

“But Uncle, I don’t understand. Why them?" He asked again.

Mirin retrieved another envelop in the drawer and handed it to Myungsoo.

“Everything will be explained in this Myungsoo. Open this when it’s time to read the will. I just want you to promise me that whatever happens you will ensure that everything written on that paper will be followed. Do this for me and for your Aunt Hera. Please, Myungsoo.” he appealed.

Myungsoo just nodded. He passed back the paper to the old man so he can stamp his signature. Once done Mirin sealed the envelope and hand it back to him.

“I will have it notarized Uncle and will put it in the bank’s safety box together with this envelop.” He stated as soon as he put everything in his file case.

“Promise me, son. You will help me make your Aunt Hera’s wish come true.” Mirin again beseeched to Myungsoo.

“I will do my best, Uncle Mirin.” He replied with sincerity. He then bid goodbye and left the old man in the study.

On the way out, Myungsoo can’t help but shook his head and utter..

“Why does he have to leave Choi Estate to Kim Hyunjoong and Hwangbo Hyejung?”

19 comments:

Simply MC said...

oohhhhh start pa lang misty eyed na ako.. huh.. i can feel a beautiful plot here (oh you always write beautifully namn eh ^_^)... can't wait for the next chapter. thanks so much ems.. God bless! Kiss Kiss

LvKprogram said...

Yahoo! New story!

Hmmmm very much interest to find out why the old gentleman is leaving his estate to HJb& HB when he is no longer in this earth. I hope his personal laywer follower through his wishes!

Thank you!

Anonymous said...

a new fic! yehey! although i haven't really guessed what the plot will be, i'm sure this is going to be a good one (as always). can't wait for the next chapter..thanks ate! and a big hug for your friend who gave you that advise. --meetian--

sparklingbebe said...

I think I know kung bakit nya iniiwan ung company sa JB! Shocksssssss ito maglalapit sknla! C Choi Hera..ay si.... <3

I love it. Galing!

oly84 said...

Yeay... new fic
thanks for not makimg this fic private.can't wait for his will come true
sorry for my wnglish..thats y i'm a silent reader ^__^

08shu16 said...

i love this story already♥
choi mirin and hera's story is sweet, reminds me of carl and ellie from up..hehe~ (i♥them)
anticipating the entry of khj & hb...
thank you~

^.^v

Anonymous said...

Interesting. Can't wait for the next chapter. I'm glad you decided to leave it open. I'm sure a lot are happy with you leaving this site open. They may not leave comments but I'm sure they support you too. Like me before. - jumi ^_^

wulan said...

yay a new fic.

wonder what connection does the old have with hj n hb, and to say the will is to follow her late wife wishes, are they both in good terms with hb n hj?

an interesting opening chapter, thx Em :-)

Anonymous said...

yay, new fancfic na aabang-abangan...thanks!!!

> sammiesoong

Anonymous said...

As always.. excited mich for the new story.looking forward for the next one..

ellehcar817 said...

so many possibilities swirling in my mind! can't wait for the next chapter!!! <3 <3 <3

Anonymous said...

thanks to your friend and to you for keeping your blog open ^^ . I can't wait for the next chapter :)

-lakehouse

Anonymous said...

Yeay..Ems is back with new fic
Thanks for made this public
Luv Ya

SueAnne

Anonymous said...

I am glad you didnt set this to private ~ ^^
Thank you so much.

Anonymous said...

Thanks for the new fic Ems...Is Hera a Ssangchu fan? ^^

ris

Anonymous said...

oops..I mean. . Was Hera a ssangchu fan?

ris

Anonymous said...

oops..I mean. . Was Hera a ssangchu fan?

ris

Anonymous said...

oops..I mean. . Was Hera a ssangchu fan?

ris

Anonymous said...

oops..I mean. . Was Hera a ssangchu fan?

ris